from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Proper Poetry

Here in the valley tiz Proper Poetry Tuesday.

I've asked Dr Rosamund Wordsmith (BSE, BtB, CJD) to kick us off.

If you'd like to contribute to a future Tuesday Proper Poem, please do – but note none of that nasty modern experimental stuff without rhyme nor reason, mind.


Oh those gold Octobers of yore
When trees all spake their leafy lore
Now fog lies heavy on the bough ground shore glen
And lo! the rain doth fall again.



Dr RW, BSE, BtB, CJD





 

2 comments:

  1. This is great! And sort of unexpected, even though I know how drily mischievous you can be. All bloody morning yesterday I struggled to send a riposte and it wouldn't come! Where are the floods of cheeky parody in your readership? if anything suitable flies in whilst in the leafy dells of Pennine inclines, grumping in the grey green drizzle, I'll let you know.
    Love, Miri x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miri! – from the deafening silence, I suspect a LOT of people, especially many of my serious poetry friends, think I've either lost it or can no longer recognise proper poetry when I read it! The post has had 100s of hits and no one but you (and one other) has suggested they actually get it, so thank you muchly!

      When I was poet-in-residence at Sherborne Boys' School, one of the things I did was hijack the digital Cadet-Force-thing noticeboard and post such parodies by supposedly Dorothy Wordsworth. Some people got it; some rather worried about the poet they'd appointed.

      I'd love it if something flies in for you or J. I do have a contrib from somebody who declares himself to be E J Thribb of Private Eye – so that's one, at least.

      I hope the Pennines are inspiring in many ways.

      Love to both

      Rx

      Delete

Blog Archive