from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Saturday 31 December 2011

What-are-the-birds-doing-with-the-December-sky rap


Winter lounges, sodden and unused –
the sky is a washing-line of sorrows.

At night, the stream talks to itself;
becomes a dance floor for wintersong.

*

The wind does not care for my
predictions or predicaments; like everything,
it suspires, expires, rises again.

*

Day wakes, laden with blue.

I wonder how much words weigh,
and why the oak log splitting under the axe
shows sinews haphazard as memory;

and how it is that we can hold on
to nothing, even love.

*

All truths in the end are symbolic.

I am a metaphor for transience,
just as a bird is a metaphor for flight ­

– how a synchronisation of starlings
is an incarnation of wind,
maybe an act of God.

*

When the ash tree fell in the woods
its bunched keys hung like a roosting
flock of pipistrelles.

In my sleep, I said: leave
access points under the eaves
for swallows, bats, angelic hosts.

You heard me. Held me close.



© Roselle Angwin, 2009   in Bardo, Shearsman 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive