from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Sunday 16 October 2011

notes from a day

through the window      cloud
ash trees already bare

inside I am still summer

*

sleepy wasp at the window
candlesticks awaiting flame

I too can be fire

*

robin's song from the willow
inside the dog's soft whining
and this        and this


*

hands soft on the reins
feeling my mind steady and still
like a horse

*

my daughter's dancing tango
with a man she could perhaps love

here it's me        and my pen

 *

sun through mist
crackle-glazed sheen on the morning
I'm one with dog, mist, sun

*

yesterday a hot air balloon simply dissolved into fog
today a plane's contrail extends the cloud
my flightpath right now is
unclear

*

in the town traffic
stops starts stops again
in my mind traffic

*

somewhere in the night
there is a turning
towards dawn

*

moon gives way to sun
owl to wren and blackbird

so too in me

*

bluebottle mind
thumping against the glass
seeking light

*

wind on waves
light on water
          all those years
          of thinking

*

to be this acorn –
months in moist dark soil
reborn into light

*

silence except
the Beenleigh Brook
speaking news


*

night swimming she says
we were drinking
moonlight she says

*

salmon in the pool
has swallowed moon, trees, sky –
how can he be thirsty?

*

the man speaks of trout
of river of the Troubles
I see the brave boy

*

yes and again
all my rivers
are inside

*

at the noon heart
of the day
the nasturtiums shout

*

eight poets
meeting the day
with all of ourselves

*

and in the end
we can hold on to nothing
not even love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive